President Donald Trump said Wednesday that negotiations between the U.S. and Iran are in the final stages [1].

The statement signals a critical juncture in diplomatic efforts to prevent further escalation in the Middle East while maintaining a credible military threat. This approach aims to pressure Tehran into a final agreement by balancing the prospect of peace with the risk of renewed conflict.

Speaking during a press briefing at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, Trump said that the U.S. is nearing the end of the talks [2]. He noted that the outcome remains uncertain, stating, "The United States is in the 'final stages' of talks with Iran; we’ll see what happens" [3].

While the president emphasized the progress of the diplomacy, he paired the announcement with a stern warning. Trump said that the U.S. could resume military action if a deal is not reached [1]. He said that the military response could be "a little bit nasty" if Tehran refuses to agree to a peace deal [4].

The president's remarks on May 20, 2024 [5], reflect a strategy of maximum pressure intended to secure favorable terms. By publicly declaring the talks are in their final stages, the administration creates a deadline for Iranian officials to finalize their position.

Trump previously said that negotiations were in the final stages while warning of further attacks unless a deal was secured [1]. The briefing at Joint Base Andrews served as the primary venue for these updates, highlighting the urgency of the current diplomatic window [2].

"We are in the final stages of talks with Iran."

This development indicates a high-stakes diplomatic gamble. By publicly framing the negotiations as nearly complete, the U.S. administration is attempting to force a conclusion to the talks. The simultaneous threat of military action serves as a hedge, ensuring that the administration can pivot back to a hardline security posture if the diplomatic track fails to produce a signed agreement.