President Donald Trump (R-WY) said Sunday that a peace agreement with Iran to end the war has been "largely negotiated" [1].

The potential deal is critical because it aims to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic maritime chokepoint essential for global energy shipments and regional stability [2].

Trump said the memorandum of understanding will be detailed soon [3]. The agreement focuses on ending the ongoing Middle East conflict and restoring the flow of traffic through the strait [4]. According to the president, the negotiations have progressed to a point where a formal announcement of the terms is imminent [1].

However, the announcement has not been met with immediate consensus from Tehran. Iranian officials said the president's claims were "incomplete and ..." [5]. This discrepancy suggests a gap between the U.S. administration's perception of the deal's status and the Iranian government's position [5].

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the most volatile regions in the world. Any agreement to secure the waterway would likely reduce insurance premiums for shipping companies, and lower the risk of direct military escalation between the U.S. and Iran [2].

Trump has previously said he desires to resolve the conflict through negotiation [3]. While the White House suggests the framework is nearly finished, the lack of confirmation from Iran indicates that final signatures or specific terms may still be under dispute [5].

"largely negotiated"

The contradiction between the U.S. and Iranian statements indicates a high level of diplomatic volatility. While the U.S. is signaling a breakthrough to project stability and economic recovery for global shipping, Iran's refusal to validate the progress suggests that key conditions—likely regarding sanctions or security guarantees—remain unresolved.