Former U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran informed him the country is in a state of collapse and requested the opening of the Strait of Hormuz [1].
This development suggests a potential shift in the geopolitical leverage between Washington and Tehran. If Iran is indeed facing internal collapse, it may be more inclined to accept terms that were previously rejected to secure economic relief.
Trump said this during a press conference in Washington on Tuesday, April 28, 2026 [2]. He said that opening the strategic waterway would be among several elements included in a potential agreement [2].
"Iran told us that it is in a state of collapse and wants us to open the Strait of Hormuz," Trump said [1]. He said that Iran requested the U.S. open the strait as quickly as possible [2].
The Strait of Hormuz is a critical chokepoint for global oil shipments. The request to open the waterway is tied to Iran's desire to alleviate a maritime blockade, and stabilize its failing economy [1].
However, other reports suggest a different reality on the ground. Some sources describe a state of stalemate between the two nations — noting that neither Washington nor Tehran has shown flexibility regarding navigation in the strait [3]. Other reports indicate that the U.S. administration has warned against the Iranian proposal, with no indication that a final agreement is imminent [4].
Despite these contradictions, Trump said that the opening of the strait is a central component of the discussions [2].
“"Iran told us that it is in a state of collapse and wants us to open the Strait of Hormuz,"”
The disparity between Trump's claims of Iranian desperation and reports of a diplomatic stalemate indicates a high level of uncertainty regarding the current state of U.S.-Iran relations. While the former president frames the situation as a victory for U.S. pressure, the lack of a formal agreement suggests that the strategic control of the Strait of Hormuz remains a primary point of contention rather than a settled deal.




