President Donald Trump threatened to launch a major U.S. strike against Iran if a nuclear-related deal is not reached [1].

The move signals a high-stakes attempt to force Iran into a settlement that would end current hostilities and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a critical maritime corridor closed due to the war [2].

Trump said he had already postponed a significant attack at the request of Middle East leaders [3]. The president said the U.S. military was fully prepared for the operation, stating that ships were "loaded to the brim" and ready to proceed [4].

According to reports, the planned strike was scheduled for Tuesday, May 21, 2026 [5]. Trump said "the clock is ticking" to pressure Iranian negotiators [6].

While Trump attributed the delay to requests from regional leaders, other reports indicate that Pakistan has continued mediation efforts to prevent the escalation [7]. The U.S. objective remains a deal that ensures the strategic waterway is reopened for international shipping.

Trump said the military was "all set to go" and that the strike would have occurred immediately had the postponement not been granted [4]. The administration continues to link the avoidance of this "big hit" to Iran's willingness to accept the terms of a new nuclear and security agreement [1].

"The clock is ticking."

This escalation represents a shift toward 'maximum pressure' diplomacy, where the U.S. utilizes the immediate threat of kinetic military action to secure diplomatic concessions. By publicly detailing the readiness of the U.S. Navy and the specific timing of a postponed strike, the administration is attempting to create a deadline-driven environment to force Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and resolve the nuclear standoff.