Donald Trump said Iran has two or three days [3] to reach a diplomatic agreement before the U.S. resumes military strikes.
The ultimatum follows a high-stakes period of tension in the Middle East, where a last-minute decision to cancel a planned attack on Tuesday may provide a final window for negotiation to prevent further escalation.
The warning comes on the 81st day [1] of the ongoing conflict. Trump said the U.S. had previously scheduled an attack for Tuesday, May 19, 2024 [2], but opted to cancel the operation at the final moment to allow for a potential deal.
"Iran has two or three days to conclude an agreement before new strikes," Trump said [2]. Despite the threat of renewed hostilities, he expressed optimism regarding a diplomatic resolution. He said there are very good chances of obtaining an agreement with Iran without resuming hostilities [4].
Iranian official Masoud Pezeshkian has acknowledged the severity of the current situation. Pezeshkian said the country has suffered serious damage [5] as a result of the conflict.
The current strategy relies on maximum pressure to force a diplomatic concession. By canceling the May 19 attack [2], the U.S. has signaled a temporary willingness to negotiate, though the narrow time frame suggests a limited window of patience. The region remains on high alert as the 48-to-72-hour deadline approaches.
“"Iran has two or three days to conclude an agreement before new strikes."”
This ultimatum represents a 'carrot and stick' approach to diplomacy, utilizing the immediate threat of military force to accelerate negotiations. By publicly canceling a planned strike, the U.S. demonstrates both its capability to strike and its current restraint, placing the burden of escalation or peace directly on the Iranian leadership.





