President Donald Trump said the war with Iran and other obligations make it difficult for him to attend his son Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding this weekend [4].

The intersection of a major military conflict and a high-profile family event highlights the tension between the president's personal life and the demands of a wartime command.

The conflict began on May 10, 2026 [1], following U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran. Combat operations have centered around the Strait of Hormuz and broader West Asia. As the war enters its second week, diplomatic efforts to secure a ceasefire have seen varying degrees of success.

Reports on the current state of negotiations are mixed. Some sources indicate that Iran is mulling the latest U.S. peace proposal, while others suggest the proposal was rejected. However, Iran has sent a response to the latest U.S. ceasefire proposal to Pakistani mediators, with a focus on permanently ending the war.

Trump said the Iranian response was "garbage" and said the ceasefire was "on life support." Despite the friction, the president previously indicated he would wait "a couple of days" [2] for a response and expected that response "tonight" [3] during earlier stages of the exchange.

Regarding his family commitments, Trump said the war with Iran and "other things" would make it difficult for him to make the wedding this weekend [4]. The event is scheduled to take place during a period of high diplomatic volatility, as the administration weighs military options against the potential for a mediated peace through Pakistan.

"the ceasefire was 'on life support.'"

The president's public admission that a family event may be missed due to the conflict underscores the volatility of the current US-Iran standoff. By labeling the ceasefire talks as being 'on life support' while simultaneously managing personal obligations, Trump is signaling a lack of confidence in the current diplomatic track, potentially preparing the public for a prolonged military engagement in the Strait of Hormuz.