President Donald Trump and his two oldest sons voluntarily dismissed a $10 billion [1] lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service on Monday.
The dismissal ends a high-stakes legal battle over the alleged leak of the former president's tax returns. This move signals a resolution to a dispute that questioned the government's ability to protect sensitive financial data.
The lawsuit alleged that the IRS failed to properly oversee a contractor who leaked the tax records of Donald Trump. The legal action sought $10 billion [1] in damages for the breach of privacy, and the resulting fallout.
Reports regarding the resolution of the case vary. Some sources said that the lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed [2], while others described the move as a settlement [3].
The terms of the resolution remain a point of contention among reports. One source linked the dismissal to an "anti-weaponization" fund [4]. Another report cited an attorney who said the deal was valued at $1.8 billion [5].
The IRS had previously faced scrutiny over the security of taxpayer information. This case highlighted the vulnerabilities associated with third-party contractors handling federal data, a recurring issue for U.S. government agencies.
Because the filing was dismissed, the court will not rule on the merits of the allegations regarding the contractor's failure. The legal team for the Trump family did not provide a detailed public explanation for the timing of the dismissal.
“President Donald Trump and his two oldest sons voluntarily dismissed a $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service”
The dismissal of this lawsuit prevents a public judicial discovery process that could have exposed further internal IRS protocols and contractor relationships. While the reported $1.8 billion figure suggests a significant financial arrangement, the lack of a formal court judgment means the IRS avoids a legal precedent regarding its liability for contractor-led data leaks.





