U.S. President Donald Trump (R-FL) said that the defunct Keystone XL oil pipeline could be revived and may be "awoken from the grave".
The prospect of reviving the project comes during a period of active U.S.–Canada trade negotiations. Because the pipeline represents a massive investment in energy infrastructure, the suggestion serves as a potential point of leverage in diplomatic talks.
Reports on the president's specific intentions vary. Some sources indicate Trump intends to bring back the original project, while other reports suggest he is instead interested in constructing a new pipeline larger than the Keystone XL [1]. This discrepancy highlights the uncertainty regarding whether the administration seeks to utilize existing plans or initiate a new project entirely.
The Keystone XL project has a long history of delays and storage. For example, miles of unused pipe for the project were stored outside Gascoyne, North Dakota, as early as Oct. 14, 2014 [2]. The project's failure to reach completion previously was a central point of contention in energy and environmental policy.
Analysts said the remarks may be more about political leverage than a purely petroleum-focused decision [3]. By mentioning the pipeline, the administration can signal a willingness to support Canadian energy exports while maintaining a bargaining position on other trade issues.
The pipeline's potential return remains speculative. No formal executive orders or legislative filings have been produced to confirm a timeline for construction, or a specific funding model for the revival.
“the defunct Keystone XL oil pipeline could be revived”
The mention of Keystone XL likely functions as a diplomatic tool in the current trade climate. By floating the idea of a pipeline revival, the U.S. administration creates a high-value incentive for Canada to make concessions in other trade areas, regardless of whether the pipeline is actually built.


