President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense, hour-long telephone call on May 9, 2026, to discuss Iran [1].

The conversation comes as the Middle East conflict enters its 72nd day [2]. Coordination between the two leaders is critical to preventing further escalation in the region and aligning the strategic responses of the U.S. and Israel.

During the call, Netanyahu said a mistake could be catastrophic [1]. The discussion focused on coordinating responses to Iranian actions and the dangers of strategic errors in the ongoing conflict [1].

Trump expressed a different view of the dynamic between the two nations. "Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do on Iran," Trump said [1].

This interaction follows other discussions regarding regional stability and diplomacy. Trump previously said that the U.S. will hold direct talks with Iran about its nuclear program [3].

Reports on the nature of the meeting vary. While some sources describe the interaction as a telephone call [1], other reports suggest the two leaders held in-person White House talks covering tariffs, the war in Gaza, and Iran tensions [3].

The call lasted one hour [1]. The dialogue occurred between the White House in Washington, D.C., and Israeli leadership [1].

"Netanyahu warned Trump that a mistake could be catastrophic."

The friction between the US and Israeli leadership highlights a precarious balancing act between shared security goals and differing tactical approaches. While Netanyahu emphasizes the danger of miscalculation, Trump's assertion of control suggests a US-led strategy that may prioritize direct diplomatic engagement with Iran over Israeli-led military options.