President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth released a second batch of previously classified U.S. government files regarding unidentified anomalous phenomena on Friday, March 22, 2024 [1].
The release represents a shift toward open disclosure of government data on unidentified aerial objects, which has historically been kept secret for national security reasons.
The event took place at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. [2]. According to reports, the release included approximately 70 files [3]. These materials are linked to 209 reported sightings of unidentified anomalous phenomena across various locations [4].
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the administration is committed to unprecedented transparency on UAPs and will continue to declassify more material as it becomes available [5]. The move aims to provide a clearer public record of sightings that the Pentagon has tracked over time.
A Pentagon spokesperson said the materials are linked to 209 sightings of unidentified anomalous phenomena across various locations [4]. This batch follows an earlier set of documents made public by the government [6].
The declassification process is part of a broader effort to move away from the secrecy that has surrounded UFO reports for decades. While the specific nature of the 209 sightings remains under review, the administration maintains that transparency is the primary driver for the disclosure [7].
“"We are committed to unprecedented transparency on UAPs"”
The continued release of UAP files suggests a systemic policy change in how the U.S. Department of Defense handles anomalous sightings. By moving these records from classified to public domains, the government is attempting to reduce public speculation and provide a factual baseline for scientific study, though the limited number of documents released compared to the total volume of sightings indicates a selective disclosure process.




