President Donald Trump warned Iran on Tuesday that the U.S. may launch another large-scale military strike if nuclear negotiations fail [1].

The threat escalates regional tensions as the administration uses the prospect of military action to pressure Tehran into a nuclear agreement. This approach signals a willingness to use significant force to achieve diplomatic objectives.

Speaking at the White House and posting on Truth Social, Trump said the U.S. may have to give Iran "another big hit" [1, 2]. He said that any such force would be "like never seen before" [3].

Reports indicate that a U.S. strike had been scheduled for Tuesday, May 19, 2026 [4]. However, Trump said he is holding off on that planned strike ahead of new negotiations [5]. He said the postponement occurred at the request of Gulf allies [6].

Despite the temporary pause, the president set a strict timeline for diplomacy. Trump said that if no deal is reached, attacks could occur in two or three days [6].

Trump said Iran has only a limited time to agree to a nuclear deal [7]. He said that a strike is necessary to deter further Iranian attacks should the negotiations collapse [7].

"We will hit them with a force that has never been seen before," Trump said [3].

"We may have to give them another big hit."

The administration is employing a 'maximum pressure' strategy by pairing a temporary military reprieve with a concrete, short-term deadline. By linking the postponement of a Tuesday strike to the request of Gulf allies, the U.S. is highlighting its regional coalition while maintaining the threat of escalation to force a rapid diplomatic breakthrough on nuclear restrictions.