The U.S. Department of Justice permanently dismissed all criminal charges against Indian billionaire Gautam Adani and his nephew, Sagar Adani.
This dismissal ends a high-profile legal battle that threatened the international standing of the Adani Group and its leadership. The closure of the case removes significant legal uncertainty for one of India's largest conglomerates.
The charges included allegations of securities fraud and wire fraud [1]. These proceedings took place within the jurisdiction of a New York federal court [2]. The legal process concluded when the charges were dropped on May 19, 2024 [3].
Prosecutors said the allegations could not be sustained [4]. According to officials, the decision followed a conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to move forward with the case [4]. Additionally, the Department of Justice said there was a lack of clear U.S. linkages to the alleged activities [4].
The case had focused on whether the Adani family engaged in bribery or fraudulent schemes to influence solar energy contracts. The permanent nature of the dismissal means the government will not seek to revive these specific criminal charges against the two men [1].
This outcome represents a major legal victory for the Adani family. It clears the path for the conglomerate to pursue further global expansions without the shadow of an active U.S. criminal prosecution [5].
“The U.S. Department of Justice permanently dismissed all criminal charges against Gautam Adani and his nephew, Sagar Adani.”
The dismissal of these charges indicates that U.S. prosecutors lacked the evidentiary threshold required to prove criminal intent or a sufficient nexus to U.S. law. For the Adani Group, this removes a critical layer of regulatory and legal risk that had previously complicated their access to international capital markets and strategic partnerships in the West.





