U.S. and Iranian officials met in Pakistan to review a peace proposal aimed at ending the war between Iran and Israel.

These talks represent a critical attempt to halt a conflict that had lasted 43 days [2]. The diplomatic effort is led by Vice President J.D. Vance (R-OH) and Secretary of State Marco Rubio (R-FL), who are seeking a cease-fire to stabilize the region.

An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson said, "We are reviewing the U.S. peace proposal that was received through Pakistan" [4]. The negotiations took place in Pakistan, though reports vary on the exact timing. Some sources place the meetings on May 22, while others indicate they occurred earlier on April 11 [1, 4].

During the sessions, officials engaged in 21 hours of discussions [1]. However, the outcome of these meetings remains a point of contention among reporting outlets. Vice President Vance said, "The talks ended without an agreement before I left Pakistan" [1]. Secretary Rubio said, "There is slight progress in the talks with Iran" [3].

The diplomatic push comes as violence continues in the region. An Israeli strike on southern Lebanon recently killed six people [5]. Simultaneously, Iran has executed two individuals accused of spying for Israel [6].

These developments highlight the volatility of the current geopolitical climate. While the U.S. continues to push for a negotiated settlement, the simultaneous execution of suspected spies and ongoing strikes in Lebanon suggest that military tensions remain high, even as diplomats meet in neutral territory.

"There is slight progress in the talks with Iran."

The use of Pakistan as a neutral intermediary indicates a high level of mistrust between Washington and Tehran, as both parties avoid direct bilateral engagement. The contradiction between the Vice President's and Secretary of State's accounts suggests a fragmented U.S. diplomatic strategy or a deliberate attempt to manage expectations while continuing back-channel negotiations.