Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their current ceasefire by 45 days [1] following diplomatic meetings in Washington, D.C., last week.

This extension provides a critical window for mediators to finalize a lasting peace agreement and prevent a return to active conflict. The move signals a rare moment of alignment between the opposing delegations and U.S. mediators.

U.S. State Department officials said the talks held on Thursday, May 14, were "productive and positive" [1]. The meetings included delegations from both Israel and Lebanon, who gathered in the U.S. capital to negotiate the terms of a sustainable resolution.

The agreement extends the original cessation of hostilities that began on April 16 [1]. A U.S. State Department official said, "The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress" [1].

Beyond the immediate extension, the parties intend to use the additional time to refine the details of a permanent settlement. An Israeli official said the goal was "to discuss a framework for an agreement in greater depth" [2].

Following the initial discussions in Washington, the process transitioned into further security-focused talks held at the Pentagon [3]. These meetings are intended to address the technical and military requirements necessary to maintain the truce.

U.S. officials said the recent diplomatic push was "highly-productive" [4]. The State Department continues to facilitate the dialogue as both nations seek to move beyond the immediate ceasefire toward a comprehensive framework for peace.

"The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress"

The 45-day extension acts as a diplomatic bridge, moving the conflict from a fragile temporary truce toward a structured peace framework. By shifting security discussions to the Pentagon, the U.S. is attempting to resolve the specific military friction points that often trigger the collapse of ceasefires in this region.