Retired Gen. Joseph Votel said Sunday that Iran is rebuilding its military-industrial base and retains residual military capabilities [1, 2].

This development suggests that previous efforts to degrade Iran's regional influence may be temporary, as the country seeks to restore its capacity to project power beyond its borders.

Votel, who formerly commanded U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), shared these concerns during an interview on Fox News’ program “The Story” [1, 2]. He said that new intelligence reports indicate an active effort by Iran to rebuild its military-industrial capacity, which could expand the threat it poses to the region [1, 2].

"I am concerned about Iran's residual military capabilities," Votel said [1].

The general said that the strategic focus on specific maritime bottlenecks may be insufficient to address the broader threat. He said that the U.S. has made it clear that passage through the Strait of Hormuz may be just the beginning [2].

While current intelligence shows a push for reconstruction, other assessments of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) suggest the group still possesses moderate military capability despite a diminished overall threat [1].

Historical data on Iran's naval capabilities shows that U.S. forces previously destroyed more than 90% of Iran's inventory of 8,000 naval mines [3]. However, Votel's warnings suggest that the restoration of the industrial base could allow Iran to replenish such stockpiles, or develop new systems.

"I am concerned about Iran's residual military capabilities."

The warning from a former CENTCOM commander indicates a shift in focus from current tactical capabilities to long-term industrial recovery. If Iran successfully restores its military-industrial base, it could negate previous U.S. gains in degrading its arsenal, potentially renewing the risk of maritime instability in the Strait of Hormuz and increasing the scale of regional proxy conflicts.