U.S. Secret Service agents shot and killed a 21-year-old man who opened fire near the White House on Saturday, May 23, 2024 [1], [2].

The incident underscores the persistent security challenges facing the executive mansion and the risks posed by individuals with prior history and contact with federal law enforcement.

The shooting occurred on the North Lawn of the White House [3], [4]. According to reports, the suspect opened fire on Secret Service agents [5], [6]. Agents responded to the threat, and the gunman was shot and died [7]. While some reports indicated the suspect was transported to a hospital before dying, other sources said he died at the scene [7], [8].

Authorities identified the suspect as a 21-year-old male [1], [2]. Investigators said that the individual had been previously arrested by the Secret Service [1], [2]. The specific nature of those prior encounters has not been detailed in public reports.

The gunfire triggered an immediate lockdown of the area [9]. Reporters and personnel near the North Lawn heard the shots as agents moved to neutralize the threat [9]. The operation resulted in one fatality — the gunman [7].

Federal agents have not released a motive for the attack. The investigation remains active as officials review the suspect's background and the timeline of events leading up to the shooting on Saturday [1], [4].

U.S. Secret Service agents shot and killed a 21-year-old man who opened fire near the White House

This incident highlights a critical security vulnerability: the ability of an individual previously flagged by the Secret Service to return and initiate a lethal confrontation at the White House. The fact that the suspect had a prior arrest record with the agency will likely prompt a review of how the Secret Service tracks and monitors individuals who have previously attempted to breach security perimeters or engage in criminal activity near protected sites.