The World Health Organization raised its alert level to an international emergency on Sunday following an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

This escalation signals a critical need for global coordination and resources to contain a highly virulent strain of the virus that currently lacks a vaccine. The move reflects the urgency of preventing a wider regional health crisis.

Health officials identified the cause as the Bundibugyo variant, a strain known for its high virulence. This is the 17th [3] Ebola epidemic to strike the territory of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to data provided by the WHO, the outbreak has resulted in 80 [2] deaths. There are currently 246 [1] suspected cases reported across the affected areas.

The situation is complicated by the specific nature of the Bundibugyo variant. Officials said there is no vaccine available to combat this particular strain of the virus.

While some reports previously suggested the end of an outbreak in the region, the WHO's decision to raise the alert level indicates the current epidemic remains active and dangerous. The organization said the scale of the suspected cases and the mortality rate necessitated the emergency status.

The World Health Organization raised its alert level to an international emergency.

The declaration of an international emergency allows the WHO to mobilize global funding and technical expertise more rapidly. Because the Bundibugyo variant lacks a specific vaccine, containment relies heavily on traditional public health measures, such as contact tracing and isolation, which are often difficult to implement in conflict-prone or remote regions of the DRC.