A Unifor leader in Windsor responded Friday to CUSMA proposals put forward by the United Auto Workers Union.
The reaction highlights growing instability in the North American automotive trade corridor. As Canada navigates complex trade negotiations, labor leaders fear that ill-timed proposals could exacerbate existing economic pressures on manufacturers and the workers they employ.
Speaking in Windsor, Ontario, the Unifor leader said the timing of the UAW proposals is a concern. The union representative said the proposals arrive while the Canadian auto sector is already grappling with existing tariffs and a sharp decline in trade volume.
According to industry data, Canadian auto exports are currently roughly half of what they were during the same period last year [1]. This contraction creates a volatile environment for labor negotiations and trade adjustments.
The Unifor leader said the current economic climate makes the sector particularly vulnerable. The combination of reduced exports and the pressure of tariffs threatens the stability of the regional automotive supply chain, a critical economic driver for the Windsor area.
While the United Auto Workers Union seeks specific adjustments to the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement, the Unifor representative said the current strategies being employed by both Liberal and Conservative platforms are flawed. The union is calling for a more sustainable approach to protect the domestic industry from further decline.
“Canadian auto exports are roughly half of what they were the same time last year”
The friction between Unifor and the UAW proposals underscores a precarious moment for the Canadian automotive industry. With exports dropping by approximately 50 percent [1], the sector lacks the economic cushion to absorb trade disruptions. This suggests that future CUSMA renegotiations will likely be fought not just on labor rights, but on the fundamental survival of Canadian manufacturing hubs against US trade volatility.




